Komori no Tsukinoshita is a former samurai residence that was built about 140 years ago.
We opened on February 2020 as a place for guests from various places, local guests, our staff to gather and eat while having fun !
The guesthouse is located in Kibichuo Town, Okayama Prefecture. It's famous for the historic hot spring "Komori Onsen" which was developed by Tsunamasa Ikeda, the feudal lord of the Bizen domain, as a therapeutic bathhouse in the Kyoho era (1796-1715). The bathhouse is called "Amanoiwa" which boast an impressive sight with large rocks piled up in perfect balance, and "Nagamaru village" which is called the village of sea of clouds.
When you arrive at the property, you will be greeted at the gatehouse where you can pass through onto the main house where you will stay. We have three rooms from which you can stay in!
The interior has been decorated in the style of a former samurai residence with old foreign pieces and antiques to create a harmonious mix of styles.
In the cafe space, enjoy a hand-ground organic coffee brewed by the owner in an iron kettle. The meal menu includes spiced curry and curry made with plenty of local vegetables with other healthy meals options. We can also prepare a seasonal vegetarian meal with a focus on vegetables by prior reservation.
In the evening, our coffee shop will be transformed into "Bar Tsukinoshita" changing the atmosphere dramatically!
Drinking, talking, and enjoying music together are just some of the many activities you can enjoy! (If you wish, the owner can recommend some delicious local drinks for you to try!!!!
The owner has spent about 10 years traveling to more than 50 countries around the world. The owner himself traveled to many countries around the world, so he renovated this guesthouse to be a perfect space for travelers of all walks of live to interact, enjoy themselves, and leave a lasting impression.
There's also a common area and a coffee shop for you to use.
Our motto is to make you feel as if you are at your best friend's house, so please come and talk to the owner who is not afraid to get on your shoulders!
(By the way, I also speak English and Chinese, so foreign visitors are welcome to join us!
We have had many guests from not only Japan but also from abroad who have visited us. Even though it faces the national highway for easy access, it is surrounded by mountains and rivers, so you can experience the Japanese countryside. You can enjoy mountain and river hikes, as well as also cherry blossoms in the spring, autumn leaves in the fall, fireflies in the summer and stars in the clear winter sky.
There are also many places to go out, and Okayama and Kurashiki are less than an hour away, perfect for those who like to drive. Taking advantage of its location in the center of Okayama, the owner and I also plan tours to explore some of the lesser-known spots in the area.
For example, a tour of a hot spring village, a stroll through an old historic town, a tour of a delicious sake brewery, or a shopping tour that shows the best bargains. There are a variety of ways to enjoy your stay, and longer stays are also possible.
Two of the three rooms are private rooms, but they will be connected to each other by sliding doors and sliding fusuma doors in the style of an old Japanese private house, so there are no locks on the rooms.
- Please keep your valuables with you.
- Each room has a maximum capacity of 4 people (including children), but we suggest 2 to 3 people so you can stay in a room comfortably.
- All rooms are dormitory style so that even first-time guests can stay with each other in a friendly atmosphere.
- If you would like to rent out your own room, please contact us. (extra charge is required)
- Please use our community space for guests to get together and get to know each other.
- We don't have any special amenities available, so please bring your own.
- In case you forget, you can borrow hand towels, toothbrushes, shampoo, rinse and body shampoo for bathing, but there is a charge for them. Hair dryer is available.
- We have electric blankets, hot water bottles and fans.
- WiFi is available.
- No TV.
- No TV.
Please enjoy country life ✨
We ask that you do not bring in your own food.
There is no space to cook your own meals.
Rice with an egg set meal
Made with locally sourced eggs, grown in natural water, with a special focus on the local area!
Big, firm yolks so big, you could hold them with chopsticks!
Please select from the menu. (An example is shown below)
Spiced Veggie Curry with lots of seasonal vegetables (limited quantities)
A spicy curry with tender seared cheese on top.
A spicy curry with garlic and over 10 spices.
Special Foods (Limited)
Seasonal vegetable appetizers.
A set of various small bowls of healthy food (limited quantities)
The main course could be a piece of meat or vegetables.
Mr. Yagi's egg rice
The eggs of the chickens the host raised have such a rich flavor!
It's literally "egg on rice".
The simplicity of this dish is what makes it taste so good!
Recommended for those who are hungry.
For an additional charge, you can enjoy the "Veggie Barbecue Plan" and the "Vegetable Hot Pot Plan", which includes plenty of local vegetables.
Vegetables and rice are provided, so if you have any other items you would like to grill or put in the pot, please bring them with you.
There is an additional charge of 1,500 yen for both plans.
About the price
Adult: from 8,500 yen/person
Winter heating fee (November 1 to April 30): +500 yen per person
Child：7,000 yen～/person *With Futon
Infant：1,000 yen～/person *No futon
Change to one night with two meals: extra +500 yen per person
The rates are for the whole year. (No special day or peak season rates)
One person can also stay in this room.
There is no limit to the number of days you can stay.
The price includes tax.
The bathroom, washing machine and toilet are shared.(extra charge)
Although this is an old house with a long history, the water system has been thoroughly remodeled!
The communal bathroom is a unique space with a western style bathtub and old-fashioned wooden ceiling and fittings.
In summer, we recommend opening the windows and taking a bath while looking at the outside garden.
The washing machine (2 tanks) is available for a fee. Please ask us when you use it.
Although you don't see two-tank washing machines very often nowadays, they are actually rather new.
Recommended restaurants in the neighborhood.
- Ando Sake Shop
- Makara Mo
- Arabata mamma
- Yuki Borro
For more information about the restaurant, please inquire at the time of reservation or on the day of your visit.
Convenience stores and supermarkets in the neighborhood
- About 10 minutes by car from Enjo Roadside Station
Recommended places in the neighborhood
- Okayama Riding Club
- Millet garden
- Terraced paddy fields in Misaki Town
- Cherry blossoms in Sankyu Park
- Komori no Tsukinoshita's walk in the mountains behind the house
Requests of guests
Please bring a nice smile and an open mind !
- If you are coming from the airport] 40 minutes by car from Okayama Airport
- By Shinkansen (Bullet Train) It takes 80 minutes from Okayama Station by car.
- By train ] 40 minutes by car from Tatebe Station
- By Bus] 15 minutes from Kibi Kogen Toshi bus stop Kibi Plaza
- Pick-up and drop-off service: Pick-up and drop-off service available for up to 5 people from the nearest station.
- Car Navigation System] Search by phone number: not available, Map Code: not available
(1) Why did we start the facility?
The owner has spent about 10 years traveling to more than 50 countries in the world. He has been to many towns and stayed at many inns. From this experience, he thought it would be great if there was an inn in Japan where guests could feel welcomed.
(2) A word to our guests
Let's have some fun together!
(3) Supported languages
Japanese, English, Chinese
Hobbies and skills
(5) Interaction with guests
I want to interact with people in a positive way
Respect the privacy of our guests, please !
Measures against the new coronavirus
Hand alcohol disinfectant is available.
The building is well ventilated.
1. Late night check-in: possible (handled at the entrance)
2. Early morning check-out: possible (at the entrance)
3. Whole building can be reserved for private parties (up to 12 people, in case of a prior reservation)
4. Guest bedroom key：No key
5. Place to eat: common area
6. Allergy: possible (reservation required)
7. Parking: Maximum of 8 cars in the house
8. Common pet area: Terrace and balcony only
(Bathing hours: 15:00-09:00)
1. Dyeing your hair is prohibited.
2. Hot water is not allowed to be left running.
3. No pets are allowed in the bath area.
Total of 3 rooms
(1) Dormitory (twin beds)
2 single beds / Capacity: 4 people / 9.5 square meters
(2) Dormitory (Japanese style room w/ an alcove)
4 sets of futon mattresses / Capacity: 4 people / 12 m2
(3) Dormitory (Japanese room w/ a sofa)
4 sets of futon mattresses / Capacity: 4 people / 12 m2
1) Late Check-in: Yes
2) Early Checkin-in: Yes
3) Full-House Rental: Yes (up to 12 guest max.) *please reserve early.
4) Room Key: Not needed
5) Eating Space: Common area
6) Special Allergy Meals: Yes (please message us ahead of time).
7) Parking: Yes (Up to 8 spaces)
Operating Hours: 15:00 - 09:00
1) Hair Dyeing Prohibited
2) Waste of water
3) Pets Prohibited